July 21 is National Ice Cream Day, and we want you to celebrate! Instead of going out to get some ice cream, make it yourself with this at-home ice cream recipe! Don’t have an ice cream maker? Don’t worry! This ice cream recipe uses equipment and ingredients that you’ll already have in your house!
Classic Ice Cream:
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or flavor of choice (i.e. Mint)
- Add-ins of choice (i.e. Strawberries, chocolate chips, cookie dough)
- Hand mixer
- Shallow freezer-safe pan or bowl
- Find a shallow freezer-safe pan or mixing bowl and put it in the freezer to chill. This is what will act as an ice cream maker to chill down the ice cream.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together except for the add-ins. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and you don’t feel any graininess in the liquid.
- Take the cold pan out of your freezer and immediately poor the ice cream liquid into the pan. Stick the pan back into the freezer for about 30 minutes until the ice cream mixture begins to harden around the edges.
- After 30 minutes, take the pan out of the freezer and beat the mixture in the pan. This will break up the already frozen ice cream and mix it with the liquid in the pan, making it creamier.
- Repeat step 4, returning the pan to the freezer for 30 minutes at a time and beating it until the ice cream begins to get firm. You can now add whatever add-ins you’d like to create your favorite flavors. Some great combinations would be chocolate fudge and cookie dough or graham crackers and strawberries. Beat briefly to combine.
- Put the pan back in the freezer for 15 more minutes before you enjoy your creation, just make sure it is firm enough to scoop.
- Now you are ready to enjoy your creation! Scoop your ice cream into a waffle cone, on top of a brownie or just eat it out of the pan! Happy National Ice Cream Day!
*Recipe inspiration from Taste of Home*